Source: Meera Sodha’s vegan recipe for butter beans with salsa verde
Butter beans in Salsa Verde
Servings 4 people
- 20 g flat-leaf parsley
- 20 g basil leaves
- 20 g mint leaves
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 75 ml olive oil plus 2 tbsp extra for cooking the beans
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli
- 0.75 tsp sea salt fine
- Put all the herbs on a large chopping board and finely chop with the capers and one of the garlic cloves, then transfer to a bowl, stir in the vinegar and the olive oil, and put to one side (alternatively, put all of these ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped and mixed, but not pureed).
- Drain away about three tablespoons of the liquid from one of the tins of butter beans, but leave the other one as it is.
- Put two tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and, once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for eight minutes, until really soft and starting to turn golden. Add the second garlic clove and the chilli, cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes, then tip in the butter beans and all their remaining liquid. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the beans are soft and the stock has reduced a little, then stir in the salsa verde and salt to taste. Take off the heat and serve at once with toasted ciabatta to mop up the juices.