Chilli Glazed Gammon
Servings 6 people
- 1.2 kg boneless gammon unsmoked or smoked is fine
- 500 ml cider
- 1 l apple juice cloudy
- 2 apples sharp and green, cored and cut into rough chunks
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1 tbsp demerera sugar
- 0.25 tsp chilli powder
- Soak the gammon in plenty of cold water in the fridge for at least two hours, or overnight. Drain well.
- Place the gammon along with all the other gammon ingredients in a casserole dish. The liquid should cover the meat; if not, add a little water to just cover. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, partly covered with a lid, for 1¼ hours. Turn the gammon carefully in the liquid every 20 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Remove the gammon from its cooking stock, transfer to a small roasting tin. Reserve the cooking liquid for making the sauce.
- Cut the rind from the gammon, leaving a thin layer of fat, and discard the rind. With a small sharp knife, score the fat into diamonds.
- For the glaze, put a ladleful of cooking liquid into a large clean pan. Add the sugar and chilli powder and cook until a glaze-like consistency. Pour this over the gammon and roast for 15 minutes, until browned and caramelised.