Source: Los Moros
Algerian Merguez and Beans Cassoulet
Servings 4 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion large, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp ground chilli
- 400 g chopped tomatoes 1 tin
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500 g merguez sausages each cut into 3 equal pieces
- 500 g buuter beans 2 tins
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 handful coriander roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. add the onion, garlic and salt, and fry until translucent. Add the spices, cook for a further minute or two, then stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and half a pint of water, and cook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Throw in the chopped merguez nd cook for another 15 minutes until the sausages are cooked, then add the beans and cook on a low heat until the sauce turns nice and thick.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, stir in the chopped herbs and serve with a crusty baguette to mop up the sauce, Algerian style.