Source: How to make the perfect lentil soup
Bacon and Lentil Soup
Servings 6 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 l chicken stock
- 150 g streaky bacon roughly chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 carrots large, finely chopped
- 1 swede small, finely chopped
- 250 g red lentils
- 0.5 tsp ground mace
- 1 bay leaf
- Put the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat, then fry the bacon, if using, until it browns lightly and the fat begins to render.
- Add the onions, carrots and swede, and fry, stirring regularly, until the onion is golden and the other vegetables are starting to soften.
- Stir in the lentils until they’re well coated in fat, then add the mace, a pinch of salt, a good grind of pepper and the bay leaf. Add the chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat, partially cover the pan and leave to cook for about 45 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the lentils have mostly broken down.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Scoop out about a third of the soup, whizz it to a puree, then stir back into the pot. Adjust the seasoning to taste, and enjoy.