Source: One, Pot, Plan, Planet
Muhammara Chickpea Stew
Servings 4 people
- 75 g walnuts
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tin roasted red peppers 160g drained (or 3 peppers roasted)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp pomegranete molasses
- 0.5 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tins chickpeas
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 200 g kale roughly chopped
- Put the nuts and cumin seeds into a casserole dish and toast for a couple of minutes until they start to turn golden. Tip into a food processor along with the red peppers (saving the juice) and blitz to a paste. Then add the tomato puree, pomegranate molasses, chilli flakes, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper. Blitz again until completly smooth. Add the olive oil to the paste and blitz again briefly to combine.
- Add the reserved red pepper juice to the chickpea water and make up to 500ml with boiling water then added the required amount of vegetable stock powder.
- Add the paste into your casserole dish along with the chickpeas and stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Once the stew has thinked put the greens on top, cover and cook for a couple of minutes to wilt the greens, then take off of the heat.
- Serve with a splash of lemon juice and parsley or coriander on top.