Puy Lentils with Roast Aubergine, Tomatoes and Yoghurt
Servings 4 people
- 2.2 kg aubergines about 8, pricked a few times with a knife
- 600 g cherry tomatoes
- 320 g puy lentils
- 60 ml olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 6 tbsp oregano
- 200 g Greek yogurt
- Heat the oven to its highest setting (250C/480F/gas mark 10). Put the aubergines on two baking trays and roast for an hour, turning them halfway, until the flesh is completely soft and slightly smoky. Remove and, once cool enough handle, scoop out the flesh into a colander (discard the skins) and leave in the sink or over a bowl for 30 minutes, so any excess liquid drains away.
- Scatter the tomatoes on one of the now-empty aubergine trays and roast for 12 minutes, until slightly blackened, split and soft.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, add the lentils, turn down the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes, until they’re cooked but still have some bite. Drain and set aside to steam dry a little.
- Tip the lentils into a large bowl and add the aubergine, tomatoes, oil, lemon juice, garlic, four tablespoons of oregano, one and a half teaspoons of salt and lots of pepper. Mix to combine, then spoon into a shallow serving bowl. Top with yoghurt – if you want, swirl it through to create attractive white streaks. Sprinkle over the remaining oregano, drizzle with a little oil and serve.