Roast Beetroot with Plum Dressing and Blue Cheese
Servings 4 people
- 500 g beetroot trimmed and cut into 3cm-thick wedges
- 1.5 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 g toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 0.75 tbsp dill roughly chopped
- 30 g blue cheese soft, crumbled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 250 g plums peeled, cut into quarters, then each quarter cut in half
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 0.25 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Heat the oven to 220C (200C fan)/425F/gas 7. Put the beetroot, maple syrup, olive oil and three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl, toss to coat, then transfer to an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once halfway, until tender and slightly sticky.
- To make the dressing, put the oil in a medium pan on a medium heat and, when it’s hot, add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the plums, maple syrup, chilli, half the fennel seeds, a good grind of pepper and a quarter-teaspoon of salt. Cook gently for five minutes, until the plums release their juices and soften, but still hold their shape.
- Take off the heat and, using a small spoon, lift out and set aside the larger pieces of plum. Keep the smaller, softer pieces in the pan, along with all the juices, then stir in the roast beetroot to coat.
- Spoon the dressed beetroot mix into a shallow bowl, then top with the reserved larger plum pieces. Scatter over the remaining fennel seeds, the hazelnuts and the dill, and serve with the cheese dotted around and about the top.