Source: SARDINIAN FREGOLA WITH CHICKPEAS
Sardinian Fregola with Chickpeas
Servings 4 people
- 300 g dried chickpeas soaked overnight in plenty of cold water and 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200 g fregola
- 1 onion small, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 400 g tomato passata
- 12 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- Put the dried chickpeas to soak in water overnight. In the morning, drain the chickpeas and cover with fresh water. Cook in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes until done. Drain and reserve the cooking water and use for making the stock.
- Chop the peeled onion, peeled garlic and celery finely and sauté together in a pan with extra virgin olive oil and the chilli flakes for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes till they start to soften. Add the tomato passata, season with salt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add a little stock and the fregola and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Cook everything together slowly for 15-20 minutes stirring all the time and adding the stock little by little. (The same way as making risotto).
- Once the fregola is just about al dente, add the drained cooked chickpeas to the sauce. (or rinsed canned chickpeas). Cook until the chickpeas are heated through. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately with more chopped parsley and some crusty bread.