Servings 2 people
- 1 smokie
- 500 ml water
- 0.5 onion diced
- 100 g basmatti rice
- 25 g butter
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 2 eggs hard boiled, roughly chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 0.5 lemon juiced
- 3 tbsp double cream
- Fillet the smokie and remove all the flesh, shred, and set aside. Add the bones and skin to a large frying pan along with the water and gently heat for 20 minutes to make a light stock. Strain the stock througha sieve or muslin cloth when done and set aside.
- Wipe down the frying pan, add the butter and when melted add the onion and soften the onion in it for 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and the rice and cook for a couple of minutes before adding 250ml of the reserved stock, covering with a lid and leaving to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes check the rice and add some more stock if the pan is looking dry. Add the frozen peas, replace the lid and leave for 2 minutes. When the peas have defrosted mix in the hadock, boiled eggs and cream then turn off the heat, replace the lid and leave to warm through for 2 minutes.
- Add the parsley, lemon juice and a grind of black pepper and then serve.