Source: Sri Lankan coconut dhal
Sri Lankan Coconut Dhal
Servings 4 people
- 200 g red split lentils
- 1 echalion shallot finely chopped
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon small
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 0.5 lemon juiced
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Rinse the lentils well in several changes of water until it runs clear. Put the lentils and all the ingredients except the lemon juice and coriander in a medium saucepan. Add 400ml water to the pan then bring to the boil.
- Turn down and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes, until the lentils are soft. Season with the lemon juice and more salt, if needed. Serve with steamed basmati rice, if liked, and scatter with the coriander leaves.