Source: Veggie mulligatawny soup
Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup
Servings 4 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 red pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 g coconut milk 1 tin
- 0.5 swede peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 parsnips peeled and finely chopped
- 100 g red lentils
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions, pepper and garlic gently for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the curry powder for a minute then stir in the tomato purée, for another minute. Pour in the coconut milk and add the remaining vegetables, lentils and stock. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 25–30 minutes until the vegetables and lentils are soft. Season to taste.
- At this stage, you can either serve the soup chunky, or use a stick blender to blend until smooth (or somewhere in between the two).