Coconut, Almond and Blueberry Cake
Servings 12 people
- 180 g ground almonds
- 60 g desicated coconut
- 250 g caster sugar
- 70 g self-raising flour
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 4 eggs large
- 200 g unsalted butter melted, then set aside to come to room temperature
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lemons zested
- 200 g fresh blueberries
- 20 g flaked almonds
- Grease and line a 9 inch spring form or 23cm round cake tin. Preheat the oven to 350F 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Place the almonds, coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to aerate and remove the lumps.
- Place the eggs in a separate medium bowl and whisk lightly. Add the melted butter, vanilla extract and lemon zest and whisk again until well combined. Pour this into the dry mix and whisk to combine. Fold in 1 cup/ 150g of the blueberries, then pour the mixture into the tin. Sprinkle the last of the blueberries on top along with the flaked almonds and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Keep a close eye on it towards the end of cooking: the large number of eggs in the mix means that it can go from still being a little bit liquid in the centre to being well cooked in just a few minutes.
- Set aside for 30 minutes before inverting out of the tin, removing the baking parchment and placing the cake the right way up on a serving plate. It can either be served warm with cream or set aside until cool.