Source: Liam Charles’ grapefruit meringue pie recipe
Grapefruit Meringue Pie
Servings 8 people
- 260 g plain flour
- 130 g butter cold, chopped into small cubes
- 2 limes zested
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 grapefruits zested and juiced
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 100 g cornflour
- 4 eggs yolks
- 200 g caster sugar
- 100 g butter
- 4 eggs whites
- 200 g caster sugar
- For the pastry, tip the flour, butter, lime zest and ground ginger into a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running, add the egg yolk, icing sugar and two tablespoons of cold water until the pastry starts to clump together. Tip the dough on to a lightly floured surface, give it a quick knead into a smooth ball, flatten into a thick disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C (180C fan)/390F/gas 6. Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thick. Lift the pastry into a round, loose-bottomed sandwich tin (20-22cm) and press into the edges. Trim the excess with scissors, leaving a 1cm overhang. Line with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans, bake for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and beans, and bake for five minutes more. Remove from the oven and use a small serrated knife to trim the pastry to the height of the tin.v
- For the filling, put all the citrus juice and zest in a pan and warm through for a few minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornflour, egg yolks and sugar until smooth and creamy. Strain the juice into the eggs, mix to combine and strain again. Put on a low heat, stirring all the time with a spatula, until it thickens. Off the heat, stir in the butter until it melts and the curd is smooth and glossy, then tip into the case, spread evenly and chill for two hours.
- For the meringue, put the egg whites golden in a clean bowl and whisk to soft peaks, then whisk in the caster sugar bit by bit, until the mixture goes stiff and glossy. Generously spoon the meringue on top of the filling, giving it a couple cheeky swirls with the back of the spoon, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Release the tart from the tin and serve just as it is, or toast the top under the grill (or with a blowtorch), until it browns.