Source: Slow-braised Korean short ribs
Korean Braised Beef Ribs
Servings 4 people
- 2 beef ribs about 1 kg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch spring onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 cm ginger grated
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tbsp seasame seeds ground with a pestle and mortar
- Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan then brown the ribs in batches, getting a good dark colour and rendering down as much fat as you can. Pour away the fat as you cook.
- Put the spring onions, garlic and ginger in a large ovenproof pot with a lid where the ribs will sit in a single layer. Add the rest of the ingredients and 750ml water. Cover and cook in the oven for at least 4 hours.
- Carefully remove the ribs, then cool. Chill the cooking liquid until the fat settles and hardens on top. If you can do this the day before, great. If not, start in the morning and a couple of hours in the fridge should do it.
- When the fat has solidified, scoop it off the top and discard. Put the pot back on the heat and simmer the sauce if you want to thicken it.Add the ribs and cook, turning in the liquid until heated. Serve with rice and pickles.