- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sticks celery finely chopped
- 2 caarrots finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 750 g beef mince
- 250 g pork mince
- 400 ml red wine
- 800 g chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml beef stock
- 1 l milk whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 0.25 onions
- 1 pinch nutmeg freshly grated
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 14 sheets lasagna pasta
- 100 g parmesan grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the ragu, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and fry the celery, carrots and onion for approximately 15 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the garlic and rosemary and fry for two more minutes.
- Add the beef and pork mince and cook until browned.
- Pour in the red wine and stir well. Cook for approximately 45 minutes.
- Once the wine has evaporated, add the tomatoes and stock. Leave the mixture uncovered to cook slowly for two hours. Top up with more warm stock if necessary. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the bechamel sauce, place the milk in a large non-stick saucepan, add the bay leaves, onion and nutmeg and gently bring to the boil.
- In a separate saucepan melt the butter and add the flour. Beat well and cook for two minutes. Remove the milk from the heat and add a little to the flour mixture. Combine well, and when all the milk has been absorbed, add a little more. Continue to do this until all the milk has been added, whisking continually.
- To assemble the lasagne, take a deep, wide dish and coat the bottom with a third of the meat sauce, topped with a quarter of the béchamel, and a sprinkling of parmesan, and finally a layer of blanched pasta. Repeat two more layers, and then top the last layer of pasta with the rest of the béchamel, and the remaining parmesan. Grate a little nutmeg over the top, and cook for 40 minutes, until golden and bubbling.v