Prawn and Kale Orzo
Servings 2 people
- 2 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 50 ml white wine
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 120 g orzo
- parsley finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.25 tsp chilli flakes
- 100 g tomatoes diced
- pinch saffron
- 0.25 tsp fennel seeds
- 500 ml fish stock
- 10 frozen prawns
- 100 g kale leaves stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- In a large, deep-sided frying pan, fry the shallots in a little oil for 5-10 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the wine and cook for a couple more minutes until it has mostly evaporated.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika, chilli flakes, fennel seeds and orzo. Fry the orzo for a couple of minutes before introducing the tomatoes and saffron to the pan.
- Add half the stock. Simmer gently, giving it an occasional stir, until the stock is absorbed.
- Add the rest of the stock in batches until the orzo is cooked through, but has a tiny bit of chewiness; this will take around 20-30 minutes. You may need a little less or more stock depending on the size of your orzo.
- Add the prawns and the kale leaves and cook for a couple of minutes until the prawns are defrosted and the leaves have wilted and then serve.