Source: Banana Bread
Rum Banana Bread
- 100 g sultanas
- 75 ml spiced rum or dark
- 175 g plain flour
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 125 g unsalted butter melted
- 150 g caster sugar
- 350 g bananas about 400g with skin on, roughly mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 2 eggs large, whisked
- Put the sultanas and rum or bourbon in a smallish saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave for an hour if you can, or until the sultanas have absorbed most of the liquid, then drain.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/150°C Fan/gas mark 3/325ºF and get started on the rest. Put the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a large bowl and, using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine well.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the dry bowl and gently fold in until mixed. Scrape into a loaf tin (23 x 13 x 7cm / 9 x 5 x 3 inches) and bake in the middle of the oven for 1-1¼ hours. When it's ready, an inserted toothpick or fine skewer should come out cleanish. Leave in the tin on a rack to cool, and eat thickly or thinly sliced, as you prefer.